Selecting the right instrument is very essential to ensure the best impression for any starter who is going to start violin lessons. The best starter violin should offer maximum comfortability with great playability so that it motivates the player to continue his or her violin playing journey.
A good quality violin allows you to enjoy the music while playing. Especially when you are purchasing a violin for any beginner, you have to remember that this might be the first instrument he or she is going to play in his or her life. That’s why you need to be careful while buying a violin for a new player.
We have reviewed all the specifications of different brands, compared various models to evaluate the available features, and spent many hours testing and reading the customer review to assist you in selecting the best starter violin for child as well as adult.
We hope our expert review will guide you to pick the right instrument according to your preferences and requirements. We are presenting our findings in a quick-to-find table for your convenience. You can easily navigate the table and choose the instrument that best fits your or your child’s needs.
You may also like to check the detailed review of every product on our list. We have mentioned all the available features and specifications of the listed products. It may help those who are interested to know every nitty-gritty before purchasing their products.
- Best Starter Violin For Child
- 3 Best Starter Violins for Your Kids
- Best Starter Violin For Adults
- Research and Buying Tips
- Making Final Selection
Best Starter Violin For Child
While purchasing the best starter violin for a child, it is important to review the features that are suitable for kids. Your informed purchase may guide you to select the right starter instrument that your child deserves. The correct and best instrument can smooth the journey of your child’s violin playing journey.
While purchasing a starter violin for kids you need to consider the size of the violin. If the size of the instrument is not appropriate, your child may not be able to play it comfortably.
The inappropriate size of the violin may discourage or demotivate your child to continue learning violin lessons and it can even stop your child’s violin-playing journey forever. That’s why you must choose the right size violin for your child. The size of the instrument needs to be determined according to the arm length of your kid.
Similarly, the materials of the violin will ensure the longevity and playability of the instrument. A better-quality violin must have good body construction. Maple and Spruce are considered the symbol hallmarks for constructing a violin body.
These types of woods have been used for years to construct the body of violins. Many experienced luthiers are making great violins by using flamed and naturally dried woods for constructing violins’ back, top, and sides. It is recommended to check the body materials before purchasing the best starter violin for a child.
The weight of the instrument is also an important factor when selecting a violin for kids. At this starting stage, your child has to practice for a longer period. So, it might be harder for him or her to carry a heavy instrument for a long time and it affects the performance in the long run.
A variety of different violins are available in the market. But you need to choose the right one that may be better suited for your kid. Here we have reviewed a variety of options and listed the best starter violins for your kids.
3 Best Starter Violins for Your Kids
1. Mendini Full Size 4/4 MV300 Solid Wood Violin
Mendini Full Size 4/4 MV300 Solid Wood Violin Review
While buying a violin for beginner students, it is important to consider an instrument with better body construction. Because most of the young learners are holding the instrument for the first time and they might be a little bit rough with their stringed instruments.
But this solid wood violin is just perfect for any beginner violinist. Pro technicians inspect all the violins delicately to meet the highest quality. So, if you purchase it, you can be sure that you are getting the best value for your money.
- Completely hand-carved solid Spruce top with solid maple back and sides increase its playability and longevity. The good quality woods ensure the high-quality body of this violin.
- Along with unbleached genuine horsehair, the bow can serve a good quality sound.
- The excellent quality backpack and sturdy shoulder straps make this stringed instrument more attractive to young violin players.
- It includes some necessary accessories like the Violin First Lesson book and Cecilio clip-on tuner.
- This beautifully designed beginner’s violin also offers an extra set of violin strings, two bridges, and quality rosin which are very essential for young learners.
- As it is made from Brazilwood, beginner players can use it comfortably for years.
- It comes with an adjustable shoulder rest with soft foam padding. The luxurious and comfortable rubber feet make this shoulder rest just suitable for young learners.
- The lightweight hard case features ample pockets which allow buyers to keep all of their equipment comfortably.
Expert Opinion on Mendini Full Size 4 by 4 MV300 Solid Wood Violin
The super-comfortable alloy tailpiece with four integrated fine tuners will help the young learners to hear and feel the pristine sound of this violin.
2. Eastar EVA-2 4/4 Violin
Eastar EVA-2 4/4 Violin Review
This is a perfect budget option for those who are searching for an instrument under $100. The primary goal of this stringed instrument is to meet the requirements of cash-strapped consumers. This violin is a pleasant surprise for beginner players. Because it includes all the necessary features that a beginner player needs to start playing right away.
- This decent and durable instrument has real wood body construction. All the woods are naturally dried for three years.
- The carving of the body is done by hands. The back and sides are made from Maple while the top is made from Spruce.
- Ebony fingerboards and pegs can provide the superb playability and comfortability of this instrument. The beginner players who want an instrument that has good tuning retention, will definitely like this.
- The sound quality is pretty good. It is quite adequate for beginner players.
- The violin is varnished by using an antique red-brown color.
- Several extra accessories are offered with this instrument such as a set of strings, an adjustable shoulder rest, a clip-on tuner, and rosin.
- It also comes with a bow that is made from good quality Brazilwood. It has Mongolian horsehair so you don’t need to worry about its quality.
- This hard case is a great addition to this stringed instrument, especially compared to other available models in the market at the same price range. This protective case will allow you to carry it anywhere you want.
Expert Opinion on Eastar EVA-2 4/4 Violin
If you are looking for a better-quality stringed instrument at this price range, it would be the right investment for you.
3. Mendini Full Size 4/4 Solid Wood Violin
Mendini Full Size 4/4 Solid Wood Violin Review
When purchasing a violin for someone who is going to take his or her first violin lesson, it is not wise to invest a huge amount of money. Because you don’t know whether he or she sticks with it after a few lessons or not and the amount of money you have already invested mightn’t be back.
In this situation, a budget-friendly option could be a better option. This violin model can be a perfect choice for any student who has dreams of playing music but is not sure whether he or she can continue or not.
- With a solid Spruce top and solid maple sides and back, it is carved completely by hand. The top-notch beautiful design of this violin is very suitable for beginner players.
- Maple fingerboard, pegs, and chin rest will ensure the maximum playability of this model which is uncommon at such a lower rate stringed instrument.
- The alloy tailpiece is firmly integrated with four fine tuners. It influences the beginner players to produce a bright and warm tone with minimum effort.
- A handsome varnish complements its elegant design. Though it is a less pricey model, the manufacturer doesn’t compromise on its appearance.
- This is a complete learning set that includes a bow, extra strings, quality rosin, two violin bridges, an adjustable shoulder rest, and a clip-on tuner.
- The lightweight hard case with backpack and shoulder straps is very comfortable, especially for young players.
Expert Opinion on Mendini Full Size 4 by 4 Solid Wood Violin
It is a super-economical investment and gives you the best value for your money.
Best Starter Violin For Adults
Whether you are going to purchase a starter violin for children or adults, you have to do some research to get the desired instrument that you are interested in. Because violins are not the most inexpensive musical instrument available on the market. Rather these are quite expensive and you need to invest carefully while purchasing an instrument for any starter.
Committing to buying a starter violin for adults should follow some guidelines. Because adult starters have some particular preferences and necessities. Usually, they like to enjoy an instrument that has striking look, top sound quality, and durability.
A good violin for an adult starter needs a great appeal to the eyes. A well-constructed violin that offers a pretty appearance with an excellent tone is highly appreciated by adult learners. Impressive accessories, high-quality bows, and a brilliant case are also some other factors needed to consider while selecting the best starter violin for adults.
Here we will like to help you to explore some of the best starter violins for adult learners. We have spent plenty of time reading the customer review, comparing various models, and analyzing the specifications of the top brand to prepare a useful guide for you. This buying guide will help you to make an informed decision in choosing the right stringed instrument. Check out the top starter violin list for adults.
- Cecilio CVN-300 Violin
- Mendini MV400 Violin
- Vangoa Electric Violin
1. Cecilio CVN-300 Violin
Cecilio CVN-300 Violin Review
If you are on a budget and want to purchase a violin with a good quality body and sound, this violin could be a better choice. It is not only affordable but also durable. It offers a complete outfit with lots of extra accessories. You may have to purchase those accessories separately when you buy other violin brands. So, it ensures the maximum value of your money. It is a great option for any beginner violin of all ages.
- Even though it is sold at an affordable price, good materials are used to construct the violin. This solid wood violin is very suitable for adult learners who want to start violin learning at an older age. This instrument will grow with you as you evolve. You also can use it at the later stage of your learning without any hesitation.
- This instrument has plenty of attractive features that are desirable for any adult violinist. This orchestra-style violin has 32” x 12” x 5” dimensions and weighs 5 pounds.
- You can avail this full-size violin with an aged Maple back and solid Spruce top. The excellent quality body construction yields a great natural tone.
- Excellent quality ebony fittings are used for the pegs, fingerboard, and chinrest.
- These excellent quality fittings increase the playability and longevity of this instrument.
- You will get D’Addario Prelude strings with this stringed instrument which gives a warm and deep tone.
- It offers super quality inlaid purfling and a tailpiece with four fine tuners. These fine tuners are nickel-plated and you can remove them easily for better sound transmission.
- This violin has an antique finish which is really eye-pleasing.
- This comprehensive fiddle kit comes with two bows which are made from good quality Brazilwood.
- You will also get a spare bridge with this bow. These unbleached Mongolian horsehair bows are suitable for those players who are looking to reach a higher level through better performance.
Expert Opinion on Cecilio CVN-300 Violin
It offers a 1-year warranty for manufacturer’s defects along with all other extra necessary accessories to start playing today which is really impressive in this budget range.
2. Mendini MV400 Violin
Mendini MV400 Violin Review
With the amazing color combination and versatile design, this stringed instrument produces energetic and crisp sounds. The vibrant bright tone makes it stand out in the market. If you are looking for a violin with strikingly good design and a brilliant tone at an affordable price range, it would be the right investment for you.
- The perfectly varnished and entirely hand-carved violin has a Spruce top. The side and back of this exquisite violin are made of good quality aged Maple wood.
- This violin offers super quality fittings including ebony pegs and fingerboard, an alloy tailpiece, and a chin rest to generate a clear and responsive tone. It also has inlaid purfling and four built-in fine tuners to create an excellent playing experience for the adult player.
- This beautiful violin is manufactured by the renowned company Cecilio which is highly recommended by many violin instructors. As it is available in 4/4 or full-size, it is very suitable for an adult starter.
- Users receive two Brazil-wood bows that inspire adult learners to produce pristine sound.
- The color combination and the antique finish made this violin exquisite.
- Players can comfortably carry their stringed instrument anywhere with the excellent design carrying case that comes with this complete violin kit. The carrying case has enough space to keep the accessories as well as spare strings. You can easily carry the violin with this case to any orchestra or violin school.
- The two Brazil-wood bows come along with this violin, perfectly fitted with original unbleached Mongolian horsehair.
- Buyers also get some other essential components such as a best quality rosin cake, an adjustable shoulder rest, and two bridges. It also features a spare set of violin strings that are very important for violin learners.
Expert Opinion on Mendini MV400 Violin
As it is extremely easy to handle, it is perfectly suitable for any starter violinist. Whether a violin player is an adult or a child, he or she will find this violin very handy and easy to play.
3. Vangoa Electric Violin
Vangoa Electric Violin Review
This is an affordable and entry-level electric violin that is specially designed for a starter violinist. For those who are looking for the best electric violin for beginners, this is the prime choice. This starter electric violin is often recommended by teachers to novice players due to its ease of use. Its excellent functionalities make it exceptional among other similar models. You can confidently consider this electric violin for the student, beginners, and new players.
- With gorgeous black color, this instrument has a solid Maple wooden body. If you are looking for a versatile design classic finish instrument at an affordable price, you should not hesitate to go for this instrument.
- The high-quality ebony components such as fingerboard, pegs, chin rest, and tailpiece make this violin just perfect for those players who are looking to reach a higher level through better performance. The mother of pearl inlays enhances its additional style and comfortability.
- This unique and durable musical instrument offers an exceptionally well-made bow that will help violinists to make a warm and soothing tone.
- Buyers will get one padded carrying case for the convenience and protection of the violin.
- It also comes with quality rosin, a set of headphones, one-shoulder rest, one extra string, and an audio cable.
- When you buy this musical instrument, you will get a 9V battery that may save you some additional cash.
- It also has an output jack. This comfortable jack will allow you to hook it up to guitar amps or PA systems during live performance. You can apply the headphones while practicing. Furthermore, there is a simple volume control dial to ensure easy and comfortable playing.
Research and Buying Tips
While purchasing an instrument for a starter, many questions may arise in your mind. You may be struggling to match the budget, size, body materials, tonal quality, and many more. You may also have some questions to gain a clearer idea of your needs. We have done most of that investigation for you and like to answer all the possible questions that you have in your mind.
Is Tuning A Violin Hard To Perform?
When you start something new, you may find it a little bit difficult at the beginning stage. Tuning a violin also follows the same rule. Some find it complicated at the starting level. But over time, players find it easy to perform. The more you practice, the more it becomes easy to handle. Your level of experience will make it easier for you. Eventually, you will be able to find your desired level of tuning a violin. In the beginning, some experts recommend digital tuners. Because the digital tuner is exceptionally easy to use. It requires minimum effort to tune properly so selecting a digital tuner can be an ideal idea for a starter.
How Often I Need to Tune My Instrument?
At the beginning stage, many learners get confused about the frequency of tuning a violin. It mainly depends on various factors like the status of strings and the level of your violin practice. If you are in a hurry or traveling with your instrument, you can tune it before leaving your home. Because you may not get enough time to tune it perfectly by ear before starting your performance. But a digital tuner may help you to tune your instrument promptly. You can tune your violin in a few minutes with a digital tuner.
How To Find The Right Notes On The Fingerboard?
Whether you are learning to drive a car or playing the violin, it takes time. Knowing each note on the fingerboard is very important while learning the violin. You can find plenty of online resources that can guide you in the right direction. You can get help from a personal teacher or may like to get help from some useful booklets and videos. Some instructors suggest placing stickers on the fingerboard. This sticker method will help you by showing the notes while playing. Some starter kits are also available for beginners. But you have to remember that patience is required to learn the perfect notes. Your determination will help you to avoid any frustration and your level of experience will make it easier over time.
How To Use The Rosin?
As a beginner, you may wonder about the exact way of using rosin. Rosin is a solid form of resin and it is used to add friction to your bow. Usually, a bow can produce a light and wispy sound. But when you apply rosin appropriately, your bow can produce a bright tone. But it is important to apply the rosin accurately. You have to apply a smaller layer of rosin on the hair of the bow. If you apply excess rosin it makes the bow’s hair sticky and cannot produce the desired tone. Similarly, if you apply less than enough, it may produce a hollow sound. You have to reapply it while you are practicing continuously. Experts suggest reapplying it after 60 minutes of practice.
Making Final Selection
Choosing a violin is a personal choice. But it doesn’t mean that you have to depend on your gut instincts. Especially while selecting a violin for a starter, it is better to do some research and gather some information to make your list. Here we have done it for you. You can purchase the right brand and model for any starter from the above list.
Different learners have different preferences. Some want to practice a traditional acoustic violin while others prefer a modern electric violin. We have tried to follow the variations so that you can choose the right one for you.
All the above-mentioned violins offer great features that a starter violin should have. To end up with a worthy purchase, you can select any of the violins we have listed.
Consider the skill level of the learner and the usability of the instrument while purchasing your stringed instrument. Nonetheless, the most important factor is your budget. You can find many instruments with ample features and specifications.
But if you cannot afford it, these features are meaningless to you. That’s why always consider your budget first and find the best instrument for you or your kids and choose any great-quality violin that we mentioned.