Mendini MV 300 Violin (Editor’s Choice)
Getting the right violin from the beginning of the violin learning journey is something worth considering. Selecting the best violin for students can be a difficult decision to make. Because the saturated instrument market offers varieties of violins that are different in terms of price, size, and tonal quality.
For this reason, here we have tried to present a detailed guide for you based on the price, tonal quality, size, body construction, and accessories supplied with the instrument. Our expert review may help you to choose the best violin for beginner, intermediate and advanced students.
- Best Violin For Beginner Students
- Best Violin For Intermediate Students
- Best Violin For Advanced Students
- Making Final Decision
Best Violin For Beginner Students
If you are purchasing a violin for elementary students, you may need to consider many options to avoid any faulty purchase. Especially if you are purchasing a violin for the first time, some confusion may arise. To avoid these mistakes, here we are to help you.
Though the qualities of different brands vary from time to time, the cost of the beginner’s violin might be relatively low. Maximum brands compromise with the materials of the violin to keep the instrument on a budget.
Most of the time, these beginner-level violins are not used for a long time. It is recommended to check the quality of the instrument that meets the minimum threshold. It may not serve the students’ lifetime, but these should be usable with greater playability for at least a few years.
A young player usually likes attractive colors and a gorgeous look. While purchasing an instrument for them it is good to consider their preferences. Most beginner students use their instruments roughly, so the violin should have a well-constructed body. A comfortable carrying case is also very important while purchasing a violin for beginner students.
Here are some of the best violins for beginner students we would like to present for elementary students. We have prepared the list based on the price, built quality, and appearance.
1. Mendini MV 300 Violin
Mendini MV 300 is a perfect beginner instrument that can produce a clear, warm sound on a budget. It is designed for those players who are in the early stage of taking lessons for violin. When a kid starts violin class, he or she may require an instrument that perfectly fits his or her hands. Beginner students will love the soft satin finish of this instrument.
- Solid and hand-carved Spruce is used to construct the top while the back and sides are built from Maple. Though the fingerboard is not made from ebony, it can provide a slicker feel.
- As it is a beginner’s instrument, we shouldn’t expect expensive tonewood from this instrument. The body construction is quite satisfactory for elementary students.
- This violin also features an alloy tailpiece which is firmly fitted with four fine tuners and will become handy to produce a sweet tone.
- The design of the MV 300 is decent and the finish is eye-pleasing.
- This solid wood violin will impress you with a completely hand-carved appearance.
- You will also get some other accessories with this traditional-looking instrument such as one extra set of strings, quality rosin, two bridges, and one adjustable shoulder rest.
- Mendini MV 300 comes with some other useful accessories like padding and soft rubber feet, a clip-on tuner, a lightweight hard case, and shoulder straps.
Expert Opinion on Mendini MV 300 Violin
This small relatively lightweight Mendini violin is just perfect as a beginning instrument. It is an economical investment for those who have a dream of playing music. As it comes with all the necessities to start playing it is a great violin for beginners.
2. Eastar EVA-2 Violin
Eastar EVA-2 Violin is a perfect budget option with a cheap price tag. If you are concerned about whether your child would like to continue violin learning or not, then it might not be wise to go for an expensive instrument. Rather a budget model is a right choice to go.
- The full-size Eastar EVA-2 Violin is made of good quality naturally aged wood. It has a Maple wood neck and pear-wood fingerboard.
- You can get a date wood chin rest and an aluminum alloy strain plate. The four integrated fine-tuning tuners are very comfortable for beginner students.
- This budget-friendly Eastar violin has a convenient fingerboard that is properly inlaid with Muscovite fingerboard points. It allows the students to find the handle position quickly while learning their violin lessons.
- The sound quality of this violin is just perfect for beginner students.
- The red-brown antique color varnish makes this a complete piece of a decent instrument at this price. If you can take care of it properly it may last for years without any issue.
- You’ll get one high-quality Mongolian horsehair bow, rosin, an extra shoulder rest, two violin bridges, and an extra violin string set.
Expert Opinion on Eastar EVA-2 Violin
Easter EVA-2 model features everything that a beginner student requires to start playing right away. If you are looking for good quality craftsmanship at an affordable price, it is a good option.
3. Mendini MV200 Violin
If you have to spend a lot of money purchasing an instrument for your kids or any young beginner, it might be a risky investment. Because your child may decide not to stick with the violin after a few lessons.
Then you won’t be able to get your investment back. Fortunately, there are some inexpensive options available in the market like Mendini Full Size 4/4 violin. It will be a perfect choice to start the first lessons with a violin.
- The completely hand-carved violin is made with top-notch Maple and Spruce wood. It has a solid Spruce top and Maple sides and back.
- This instrument also features a Maple fingerboard and an alloy tailpiece that ensures maximum playability of this instrument.
- It is also a wonderful option for beginners and students who are looking for an inexpensive instrument with decent sound. Because the relatively great construction of this violin ensures the good tonal quality and maximum playability of the instrument at this price range.
- The beautiful finish makes it highly desirable among beginner players.
- This great violin for beginners comes with many other accessories like one bow, an extra set of violin strings, and two violin bridges.
- You can also avail yourself quality rosin, adjustable shoulder rest, and a clip-on tuner with this instrument.
- The lightweight hard case has ample storage pockets and compartments to keep things safe.
Expert Opinion on Mendini MV200 Violin
Mendini MV200 violin is a great violin for beginners at a very reasonable price range. The elegant design and a number of exciting extra accessories that comes with this violin are pleasant surprises for any beginner violinist.
Best Violin For Intermediate Students
If anyone plays violin for a few years and now wants to grow skills, they may require a better violin with greater resonance and playability. Because a good violin in this stage will motivate them to perform professionally in the future. These high school students need a better-quality violin to practice more. That’s why it is wise to invest more to avail a higher-quality violin for intermediate students.
Most beginner violinists are not using top-quality materials to construct their instruments. The violins constructed and designed for the intermediate students offer better construction and fittings. As intermediate students are using these instruments for more practice, so these should be durable and reliable instruments that last for years.
For seamless playing and practicing, violins for intermediate students should include some special features like well body construction, super balanced tone, durability, and brilliant look. Here we have tried to make a list of the best violin for intermediate students based on the features of the models available in the market.
1. Cecilio CVN-300 Violin
Cecilio CVN-300 is one of the most popular violins among students. As it has top-quality body construction and beautiful antique varnish, many intermediate students are fond of this instrument.
- The top of the CVN-300 violin is made of solid Spruce while the neck, back, and sides are made from good quality Maple wood.
- Along with the ebony fingerboard, it has well-constructed pegs and chin rest.
- The tailpiece is firmly attached with four nickel-plated detachable fine tuners.
- Cecilio CVN-300 Violin produces a pleasantly bright and warm tone that is rare in this price range.
- This well-constructed and durable model is very suitable for young as well as intermediate students who want to practice violin with exceptional tone and resonance.
- The beautiful hand-carved design makes this violin a piece of elegance.
- The excellent quality inlaid purfling makes CVN-300 more adorable for intermediate students.
- Extra accessories that come with this instrument can develop the skill and confidence of intermediate students. The D’Addario Prelude strings that come with this violin can yield exceptional tone and resonance.
- Cecilio CVN-300 Violin comes with two bows, an extra bridge, a clip-on tuner, and a lightweight hard case. You will also get quality rosin, adjustable shoulder rest, and a lesson book.
Expert Opinion on Cecilio CVN-300 Violin
Cecilio CVN-300 violin offers everything an intermediate play needs to get acquainted with. This violin is a comprehensive kit that offers all the necessary accessories for an intermediate player. If you require a violin with precious craftsmanship and with elegant design at a reasonable price, you can go for it.
2. Mendini MV400 Violin
You will find many inexpensive violins in the market. Most of them are not the highest in quality. This model can give you a different experience. Because this solid wood violin is manufactured by the renowned company Cecilio. It offers better sound quality with good body construction at a relatively lower price.
- The excellent quality ebony fingerboard, pegs, and chin rest provide such terrific responsiveness which is a pleasant surprise for any player.
- The solid Spruce top along with Maple sides and back bring out exceptional sound clarity that is amazing and unexpected from such an intermediate instrument.
- Mendini MV400 Violin comes with a complete bundle package that a student requires to start learning violin. It offers two Brazilwood bows with unbleached horsehair that may easily help your kids produce a warm and bright tone.
- With a beautiful hand-carved design and handsome natural varnish, it offers an alloy tailpiece that is perfectly integrated with four fine tuners.
- Mendini MV400 features a wonderfully designed lightweight hard case that is perfectly suitable for any student who tends to be rough on things.
- It also offers some other necessary accessories like an extra set of strings, two bridges, rosin, padded shoulder rest, and a lesson book.
Expert Opinion on Mendini MV400 Violin
This solid wood violin offers all the essential accessories that a player requires to start at an intermediate level. Every intermediate student who is wondering about an instrument to practice their lesson with great resonance may love to avail this violin.
3. Vangoa Electric Violin
Along with the innovative design and exceptional features, this instrument inspires the players to create great music. Especially intermediate students who are trying to develop their playing skills. The excellent quality ebony fittings and Maple wood body ensure the finest playability of this instrument while the carbon fiber tailpiece enhances the tonal quality at an excellent level.
- The high-quality full maple wood body is an amazing feature.
- The mahogany fretboard makes Vangoa Electric Violin long-lasting.
- Vango Electric Violin offers a solid maple head, pegs, and chin rest which is very suitable for a long period of practice.
- You will also get robust durable steel strings that may help you to produce a crispier and brighter sound.
- To pull out the best-balanced sound, this instrument has four detachable fine tuners that can tune precisely.
- You will love the super stylish black metallic varnish of this model.
- You can bring out the best-balanced tone by using the Brazilwood bow that comes with this violin. This excellent quality bow has unbleached natural horsehair that allows you to play the violin smoothly.
- Some useful kits like a protective case, extra strings, rosin, and headphone make this model cost-effective for intermediate students who are wondering about a time-saving purchase.
Expert Opinion on Vangoa Electric Violin
Vango Electric Violin is an amazing musical instrument to speed up your learning process through diligent practice. Whenever you are free you can play this violin anywhere. It also allows you to perform at a party or stage by connecting a jack to the amplifier.
Best Violin For Advanced Students
Violins for advanced students are usually constructed from excellent quality wood. Experienced luthiers make these instruments with the best quality components. As advanced students prefer top-level craftsmanship, manufacturers don’t want to compromise with the built quality.
Advanced level learners have to perform in different setups so they are wondering about an instrument with a balanced sound. An instrument with great body construction and better resonance may serve the advanced students for years. Durability and reliability are some other points to consider while purchasing violins for advanced-level learners.
Excellent quality ebony fittings and handsome accessories are also important factors to consider while purchasing violins for advanced students. A high-quality bow and a useful protective case are other important features to consider. Because a good bow is an essential component to bring our good quality natural sound from an instrument.
You need to remember that to avail of all these facilities, you may have to expense a little bit higher. Because most of brands like to ensure the best quality when making instruments for advanced levels. For this reason, the violins for advanced level students usually charge a higher rate than beginner or intermediate level instruments.
Here we are presenting some of the best violins for advanced students based on playability, tonal quality, and look.
1. Cecilio CVNAE-Black Violin
Cecilio CVNAE-Black Violin is available as an acoustic or electric violin. It is highly durable and reliable and specially crafted for advanced students so that they can handle it conveniently. The pleasantly bright tone will motivate the learners to perform confidently.
- Cecilio CVNAE-Black Violin has a solid spruce top along with a solid maple back and sides. This completely hand-carved violin is preferable to any player.
- The top-class ebony fittings of Cecilio CVNAE-Black deliver maximum playability and remarkable responsiveness.
- To generate a clear and beautiful sound a bow plays a very important role. That’s why students always need to use a quality bow. This instrument offers a good quality Brazilwood bow that can produce exceptional tone and resonance. The unbleached real Mongolian horsehair makes it more adorable to players.
- With exceptional antique varnish this violin looks splendid.
- An excellent quality hard case is an additional feature of this model. A Deluxe plush-lined nylon-covered protective case can be very handy for advanced learners. As it is very lightweight so students can move it anywhere comfortably.
- The case also has plenty of pockets and compartments that allow the students to keep all the accessories without any hassle. The smart strap is very convenient and the students can carry the instrument with this case to their school or orchestra easily.
- It also offers some other accessories like adjustable shoulder rest, violin bridge, good quality rosin, and aux cable.
Expert Opinion on Cecilio CVNAE-Black Violin
Those who are going to advanced lessons in violin playing may find this instrument just perfect. Because it emphasizes excellent functionality and style that enhance the student’s ability to practice continuously without bothering others.
2. Yamaha Model 5 Violin
No matter what your skill level is, this violin will add great value to your money. Yamaha Model 5 Violin offers ample features that an advanced player requires. You can practice with it or may like to perform on stage.
- Yamaha Model 5 Violin offers 5 years standard warranty which is an amazing feature for students. The solid Maple back and Spruce top make this violin more durable. The gorgeous ebony fingerboard, brazilwood bow, and rosin help the advanced students to produce great natural sound with better resonance.
- Yamaha Model 5 Violin produces excellent sounds. It will help you to grow as an soloist.
- Beautifully crafted Model 5 violin emphasizes the better outlook that an advanced-students prefer.
- It also includes a lightweight case and a brazilwood bow. Though it is designed for students, some advanced players like the smooth feel of this violin.
Expert Opinion on Yamaha Model 5 Violin
Yamaha Model 5 Violin is highly recommended for a pleasantly bright and warm tone. It will provide superior clarity and remarkable responsiveness which is highly desirable to advanced players.
3. D Z Strad Violin Model 100
Many Suzuki instructors, as well as private teachers, recommend this beautiful violin. This student violin is a perfect instrument for advanced learners. As D Z Strad Model 100 violin offers all the standard features and specifications, advanced students can feel the smooth traditional resonance while playing.
- The excellent quality construction materials increase the playability, sound quality, and longevity of the D Z Strad Violin Model 100. It comes with a complete professional setup.
- The Wittner-style composite tailpiece is an amazing feature. This tailpiece has four built-in fine tuners that make it a complete package for advanced learners.
- Italian Spruce top and flamed Maple back enhance its playability and durability.
- This model is available in different sizes from 3/4 to 1/2.
- The ebony fingerboard, pegs, and chin rest make it more adorable to advanced students.
- D Z Strad Violin Model 100 can ensure a bright and warm tone to excel in your performance.
- This good-sounding violin can serve the purpose of advanced students.
- High-quality wooden body enhances its classical look.
- The antique varnish gives it an impression of an antique appearance.
- You will get a protective case along with a bow, shoulder rest, and rosin with this violin.
Expert Opinion on D Z Strad Violin Model 100
Players can avail of D Z Strad Model 100 at a very cheap price. With solid construction and balanced pristine sound, it offers a complete outfit package for advanced students.
What Is The Best Size Violin For Elementary Students?
As the students of elementary schools are smaller in size, their hands can carry small size violins. They may not be able to navigate the violins that are bigger than their arm size. To manipulate the instrument easily they require a perfect size violin that fits in their hands. 1/16, 1/10, and 1/8 size violins are suitable for students of 3-5 years old. The students with an arm length of 14 to 17.5 inches can use these violins.
What Is The Best Size Violin For High School Students?
As high school students are usually bigger than elementary school, they require a bigger size violin. Some instructors provide a rough idea to identify the right violin for any student by using the “yardstick method”. In this method, a yardstick is used to measure the length between chin and palm. You can use this method to purchase the violin according to the length of your child’s arm span. Usually, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 size violins are applicable for high school students whose arm lengths are from 17.6 to 23.5 inches. These sizes are usually suitable for 6-9 age group students. You have to remember that this is a general guideline for selecting a size of a violin. The best way to determine the right instrument for your child is to try an instrument practically.
What Is The Best Size Violin For College Students?
College students are mature enough and they may require a full-size instrument. 4/4 size violins are full-size violins that are perfect for players ages 9 and above. An arm length bigger than 23.5 inches can easily handle this size violin. When selecting the right size violin for students, you should consider some other points like the violin’s weight, materials, fittings, body construction, and design. Because the fractional number is not the only factor that matters. It is wise to pick up and try multiple instruments to choose the most comfortable instrument for students.
How To Select Right Size While Purchasing The Best Violin For Students
Choosing the right size violin for students is not always easy. There are many factors to consider, such as the height and arm length of the player. The best thing you can do is measure the arm’s length and match it with recommended size shown in the picture.
Making Final Decision
We have tried to provide you with all the information that may answer many of your questions to select the best violin for students. You are now well-informed and can be able to select a suitable violin that not only looks good but also sounds great to the ear. Whether you prefer a beginner instrument or like to have a sophisticated model, our list will cover all the requirements that a student player should have. You can select any of the above models that we recommended.
When purchasing a violin for beginners it is important to understand the player’s preferences. Because young students have different preferences and experiences. Their skill levels and requirements are also not similar to an adult player. It is better to consider their requirements while purchasing violins for them. We will recommend the Mendini MV 300 violin for its warm, clear tone production capability at a reasonable price.
To find an ideal instrument for intermediate students, you have to make a list of important features that you want to avail of in an instrument for intermediate students. After that, you can narrow down your choices to conclude. In this case, you can go with the Cecilio CVN-300 Violin. It is highly appreciated for its beautiful antique varnish and high-end body construction.
We will recommend carefully checking all the accessories and other fittings while buying violins for advanced students. Because these accessories are playing an important role to improve players’ experiences. If possible, do some actual hands-on tests before purchasing violins for advanced students. Our top pick violin for advanced students is Yamaha Model 5 violin which can deliver a well-assembled body construction with a premium look.
Read our other violin reviews: